- Ngāti Hineuru and the Crown signed a Deed of Settlement on 2 April 2015. The settlement includes $25 million financial and commercial redress, along with cultural redress and a Crown acknowledgement and apology.
- Sir Harawira Gardiner, Riria Te Kanawa and George Reedy have been appointed to the board of Te Huarahi Tika Trust. Steve Murray has been appointed as a director to Hautaki Ltd (the commercial subsidiary of Te Huarahi Tika Trust).
- Rachael Tūwhangai has been appointed to board of the Manukau Institute of Technology.
- Last Tuesday the Minister for Māori Development, Te Ururoa Flavell, and the Minister of Science and Innovation, Steven Joyce announced three new consortium groups who have been selected to deliver Māori and Pasifika trade training. The new provider consortiums are; Bay of Plenty Polytechnic and Ngā Pōtiki ā Tamapāhore; Taranaki Futures Trust; and Te Pū Wānanga o Anamata.
- On Monday the Minister of Education, Hekia Parata, announced that $244 million will be allocated in the 2015/16 Budget to fund four new schools, and three new kura kaupapa Māori. The kura kaupapa will be built in Whakatāne, Gisborne and Hastings.
- On Wednesday the Minister for Māori Development, Te Ururoa Flavell, and the Minister of Science and Innovation, Steven Joyce, announced the thirteen organisations that will receive Vision Mātauranga Science Funding this year. In total $1.9 million was allocated across seventeen distinct projects. The successful organisations and proposals are outlined below
|Institute for Plant and Food Research Limited||Flounder Enhancement in the Marlborough Sounds||$180,000|
|Institute for Plant and Food Research||Te Awanui Huka Pak Innovation||$180,000|
|Institute for Plant and Food Research||China consumer insights, a Pathway to Premium for Māori food brands||$100,000|
|NorthTec||Scoping the development by Pehiaweri Marae hub & NorthTec of a Tikanga Maori focused digital literacy||$180,000|
|KMAHE||Digital Media Platform for Livestreaming, Broadcasting, and Content Management||$180,000|
|AgResearch||Te Kakenga Ngātahi i te Ara Poutama||$100,000|
|Institute of Geological & Nuclear Sciences||Te Kura Whenua – building an understanding of earth science for informed decision making||$100,000|
|Institute of Geological & Nuclear Sciences||Kā Rongo te Hā o Rūaumoko – Understanding the impacts of air pollution||$99,900|
|Landcare Research||Strengthening relationships between CRIs of the Te Ara Putaiao (TAP) partnership, Maniapoto Māori Trust Board and Māori landowners, development of a new methodology for risks and potential rewards of land use||$100,000|
|Cawthron Institute||Kia Mahitahi – working together to improve water quality and river well-being||$100,000|
|Lincoln University||Establishing a National Māori Biosecurity Network||$100,000|
|University of Canterbury||O Kahukura, O Marokura: Integrating kaitiaki, science and education||$99,900|
|Te Whāriki Manawāhine o Hauraki, Te Poipoia Tūkino o Hauraki||IT applications for the diffusion of mātauranga Māori social norms that are known to reduce the impacts of whānau violence||$23,000|
|New Zealand Forest Research Institute||Mātauranga Whakarewarewa – developing tamariki science knowledge for the future||$66,000|
|University of Waikato||Te Waka a Tama-rereti: Networking Māori Expertise in Genomics, Informatics and Technology||$99,000|
|Massey University||Tūpuna kai – Reconnecting New Zealand Māori with the benefits of traditional food||$92,000|
|Groundtruth Limited||Integrating mātauranga and science for land management that provides economic growth and supports biodiversity||$95,000|