Appointments and Awards
- Kingi Kiriona (Ngāti Ruanui, Ngāti Kahungunu, Ngāti Apa) has been appointed to the Māori Television board.
- The Department of Conservation re-opened the nomination process for 45 Conservation Board members. This follows a statement by Minister Eugenie Sage, that the boards need to reflect the diverse communities they service. (I.e. clearly the Minister is seeking greater gender and ethnic diversity on these boards.) Nominations now close on 14 April. See link below.
- Miro Limited Partnership (which is a grouping of Māori land trusts) has entered into a joint venture with Plant and Food Research to breed new high value berry varieties, such as blueberries. The new berries will be grown, harvested, and sold by Miro, with support from BerryCo NZ. To do this Miro landowners plan to develop circa 20 hectares of orchards over the next 12 months, where the berries will be grown in tunnel houses.
- Next month ‘The Moko Foundation’ will send a delegation of 12 rangatahi (youth) to New York to attend a United Nations Indigenous forum, focused on collective rights to lands, territories and resources. Dr Lance O’ Sullivan is the founder of the foundation, and will be a guest speaker at the forum.
- This week the Minister for Crown/Māori Relations, Kelvin Davis, publicly announced a series of public hui will be held to receive input onto the proposed scope of his portfolio. Subscribers will recall last week’s Pānui provided a detailed briefing on this matter, including the proposal to Cabinet to filter all major Crown/Māori interactions through this new office (within the Ministry of Justice). Pānui 8/2018 provides details. The consultation hui schedule is provided below, and interested parties are encouraged to RSVP to:
|Location||Day and Date||Venue|
|Kaitaia||Sat 7 April, 8.30am||Kaitaia College, Redan Rd, Kaitaia|
|Whangarei||Sun 8 April, 11.00am||Terenga Paraoa Marae, 10 Porowini Ave, Morningside, Whangarei|
|Nelson||Sat 14 April, 10.30am||Tahuna Function Centre, 70 Beach Rd, Tahunanui, Nelson|
|Christchurch||Sun 15 April, 11.30am||Ngā hau e wha Marae, 250 Pages Rd, Aranui, Christchurch|
|Gisborne||Sat 21 April, 10.00am||Manutuke Marae, 73A Whakato Rd, Manutuke 4072|
|Hastings||Sun 22 April, 10.00am||Omahu Marae, 1857 State Highway 50, Fernhill, Hastings|
|Thames||Sat 28 April, 3.00pm||Mataiwhetu Marae, 12 Ngati Maru Highway, Kopu|
|Hamilton||Sat 28 April||(time and location to be confirmed)|
|Rotorua||Sun 29 April, 11.00am||Te Papaiouru Marae, Mataiawhea Street, Ohinemutu|
|Whanganui||Fri 4 May, 2.00pm||Whanganui Function Centre, 19 Purnell st, Whanganui|
|New Plymouth||Sat 5 May, 11.00am||Owae Marae (Manukorihi Pa), 16 North Street, Waitara|
|Auckland||Sun 6 May, 10am||Nga Whare Wātea, 31 Calthorp Cl, Favona, Auckland|
|Wellington||Thurs 10 May, 4.30pm||Nau mai room, Te Puni Kōkiri, 143 Lambton Quay|
|Invercargill||Sat 12 May, 9.30am||Murihiku Marae, 408 Tramway Rd, Heidelberg, Invercargill|