- Rachel Taulelei (Ngāti Raukawa, Ngāti Rarua, Ngāti Koata) has been appointed to the Prime Minister’s Business Advisory Council.
- Linda Tuhīwai Smith (Ngāti Awa, Ngāti Porou) has been named the inaugural recipient of the Ngā Pae o Te Māramatanga and Royal Society Te Apārangi, Te Puawaitanga Award. The award is an acknowledgement of Ms Tuhiwai Smith’s contribution to Te Ao Māori and to Māori and Indigenous knowledge.
- This week the finalist for the inaugural Primary Industries Good Employer Awards were named. Finalist include:
- Employee Development – Kevin and Kylie Ihaka (Forest Protection Services);
- Safe And Healthy Work Environments – Kevin Ihaka (Forest Protection Services); Michelle Cherrington (Moana New Zealand);
- Māori Agribusiness – Miraka; Zac Te Ahuru (Ruapehu Agricultural Developments Ltd); Aaron Kurei (Te Kaha Gold Spraying Limited).
- Last Wednesday Sir Ngātata Love died, aged 81 years.
- On Thursday, the Minister for Treaty of Waitangi Negotiations Andrew Little announced that Ngāpuhi are now ready to vote on the treaty settlement evolved mandate proposal. Details on the voting process will be made available from the following website at 5pm today govt.nz/ngapuhi.