Appointments and Awards
- Rangimarie Hunia (Ngāti Whātua) has been appointed Chair of Te Ohu Kaimoana (Māori Fisheries Trust).
- Matanuku Mahuika (Ngāti Porou, Ngāti Raukawa) has been appointed to the Callaghan Innovation Board.
- This week Oranga Tamariki published information on the number of tamariki who had experienced some type of harm while in the care of the service. In the quarter January to March 2019, 154 harm incidents were identified and 103 children were found to be harmed – an astounding 76% of these related to Māori tamariki. In short, the number of tamariki Māori with findings of harm while in care is proportionately greater than the number of tamariki Māori in care or custody (59%).
- Last week the deputy Prime Minister, Winston Peters, and the Minister for Māori Development, Nanaia Mahuta, announced the Māori Wardens will receive $3.75 million over three years for training and capacity building (ref E18/ 2019).
- This week Māori Television apologised to Donna Hall and Sir Edward Taihakurei Durie for the broadcasting of and publishing of an unfounded story concerning allegations of conflict between Donna Hall, Sir Edward Taihakurei Durie and the New Zealand Māori Council Executive. The broadcast and publication occurred on 3 August 2015
The Federation of Māori Authorities (FoMA) National Conference and Annual General Meeting 2019 will be held in Nelson 27 and 28 September 2019. Go to https://www.fomaevents.org.nz/event1_2 for more information